Thursday, April 7, 2011

Paper, scissors, rock... and Book #25: The Secret Between Us

It was a trip to the library that bought me face to face with The Secret Between Us, by Barbara Delinksy. I don't think I would have looked twice at it, had it not been for a previous trip to the Thrift Store where I walked away with her book, The Vineyard... and loved it! A great introduction to an author I have come to realise has shelves and shelves of books to her name.

The Secret Between Us intrigued me. The story of a mother and daughter, driving home on a dark, wet night, hitting a man out running, and the consequences that result. The daughter was driving, but the mother takes the blame, yet that doesn't ease the girl's feelings of guilt and rather than bringing them closer, the situation they both find themselves in, sends them further apart.

The story itself kept moving along - I was never bored by it in any way, but I just found it lacked substance. It wasn't gritty enough, not emotive enough and I didn't ever feel like I was truely being let into the thoughts and feelings of either character. Rather just an outsider looking in.

What's more, I couldn't help but feel such a story should have been in the hands of an author like Jodi Picoult.

I'm now caught between a rock and a hard place. Book #1 by Barbara Delinsky I really enjoyed; Book #2, not so much.

So, much like paper, scissors, rock... should I make it best of three? And if so - any recommendations for the third?

1 comment:

  1. Oh I haven't read any Delinsky so I am not sure I can recommend anything but I have heard lots of praise about her books so I would say give her another go.

    ReplyDelete