Tuesday, April 19, 2011

P... is for picnics

P... is for Picnics
A lot of my favourite things begin with P: pampering, persimmons, potatoes, but picnics are definitely high on my list of things I love to do. Take one chequered blanket, a fabulous picnic basket - we have a terrific picnic set complete with wine glasses, and napkins (a present from Hampstead workmates and therefore respectable enough to be seen with on the Heath!) - a chilled bottle of rose, nibbles of crunchy carrots, sweet grapes, hummus, breadsticks, and of course strawberries, fine company, sunshine... and a good book!

But, you've also got to get the right picnic spot. Last year, it was mother-in-law's birthday, so we headed to Hamilton Gardens, on the banks of the Waikato River, in Hamilton, New Zealand for a birthday picnic.

The gardens are a fabulous venue for picnics or afternoon summer strolls. There's the Italian Renaissance garden, the Indian Char Bagh garden, the American Modernist garden, Chinese Scholars garden, an English Flower garden, and a Japanese Garden of Contemplation.

Mother-in-law's birthday picnic came complete with outdoor theatre, a scone making test (of which I passed...phew!) , and a rather competitive game of badminton!

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I haven't been on a picnic in years. I'll have to plan one out for this summer. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books
    http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2011/04/to-z-blogging-challenge-p.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that was the best picnic ever my gorgeous D-I-L! I still have the wee movie of the two actors singing the spontaneous love song they made up about you and your beau!

    ReplyDelete