Friday, April 29, 2011

Book Beginnings...on a Friday


 
A little bit of fun on a Friday, this weekly meme is hosted by A Few More Pages
I'll share the first line (or two) of the book I'm currently reading (including the title and author) and let you know what my first impressions are - good or bad!

"It was so dark that Cecila could hardly see her. Rather, she intuited her silhouette behind the small table next to the wall, beside the photos of the sacred dead: Beny More, the genius of the bolero; Rita Montaner, adored diva of Cuban composers; the night-black chansonnier Bola de Nieve, with his smile, white and sweet as sugar... The dimness of the place, nearly empty at that time of night, was already becoming contaminated by the smoke of Marloboros, Dunhills, and the occasional Cohiba cigar."
The Island of Eternal Love, by Daina Chaviano

I was actually more taken by the cover of this book, but having opened the first few pages (after I bought it of course!) to share with you this beginning, I'm really looking forward to reading it.

    4 comments:

    1. That is a very interesting cover! And, like you, I find it more interesting than the beginning.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      ReplyDelete
    2. The cover is awesome. Hope the book turns out to be a good read!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Nice opener...and cover! Thanks for visiting my blog.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I agree, that cover is gorgeous. The opening lines, not so much. Hopefully it turns out to be a great read! :-)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      ReplyDelete