Friday, April 15, 2011

I overindulged... and Book #29: Millie's Fling

You know that feeling when you've already eaten a few too many chocolates but you go back for just one more?

Well, lets just say it didn't take me long to pick up another Jill Mansell. Two weren't quite enough - I had to go back for more.

This one was Millie's Fling, which had everything Mansell does well - a colourful collection of characters, sticky situations, love triangles, secrets, the rich and famous, and of course a happy outcome!


From: http://www.jillmansell.co.uk
Millie's Fling 
When Millie Brady saves Orla Hart's life she doesn't realise how drastically it will change her own – not least because the boyfriend who was asking her to move in with him at the time stormed off in a huff. Actually, Millie's relieved. She's happy to enjoy a man-free summer in Cornwall. But Orla has other ideas. She's determined that Millie should meet the man of her dreams. Trouble is, Millie's taste in men doesn't tally with Orla's. The one who really interests her is Hugh Emerson, and he's the man with whom Orla's adamant she mustn't get involved...


However, if I'm being honest, it didn't turn out to be one of my favourites. There almost seemed to be a few too many story lines in Millie's Fling, which meant there wasn't enough time, words, or pages to properly develop the central plot - well, the characters I wanted to find out more about anyway! Yet who am I to criticise. I picked this book up knowing full well that I wasn't about to read a mind-blowing historical saga, or a contemporary novel that left me pondering what I do with my days.

I just wanted one more mouthful. Yet another sweet, but perhaps it serves me right for reaching for yet another helping. Next time, I'll just wait and savour what I've already had... and try not to overindulge.

That way, I can still go back for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment