Friday, April 8, 2011

Book Beginnings...on a Friday


 
A little bit of fun on a Friday, this weekly meme is hosted by A Few More Pages
I'll share the first line (or two) of the book I'm currently reading (including the title and author) and let you know what my first impressions are - good or bad!

"I listen to mama sing as we beat Papa's shirts in the river. Her voice runs like silk in the sun over the water and slides with shadows into the reeds. It's Lise's day off and the well in Cothen is dry, so Mama and I must do the washing here. I give Papa's sleeve a twist and look at Mama bent over, braids coiled up on her head and shining like a crown."
Hannah Waters and the daughter of Johann Sebastian Bach, by Barbara Nickel

I couldn't stop at just the first - or second line, so I had to share them all with you. The beginning of this book is as beautiful as the cover itself. I've yet to start reading this one, but after scanning the beginning for today's meme, I don't think I can put it down! Apparently it's "an unforgettable tale of two lonely girls, born centuries apart, who change each other's lives" - I'm certainly intrigued.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the visit.

    I didn't know this author, but it seems my kind of book. I love time travel ones! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This beginning has captured my interest...thanks for sharing; and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very intriguing indeed. And I love the opening lines too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I like the title better than the first lines. Is the book good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely beginning. I hope the rest of the book is just as good

    ReplyDelete