Monday, April 18, 2011

10 books that have beaten me... so far


Earlier this month, in a post dedicated to the A-Z Blogging Challenge, I revealed five books that have beaten me. Those I've started, but have never been able to finish. That's not to say I won't finish them. In fact, I'll be sure to return and get to the final page, but the more I look at my bookshelf, the more I realise there are a few more books on there that have beaten me. So I decided to reveal them all this Monday.


1. Sophie's World, by Jostein Gaarder
It started off ok, but then it just seemed to never end!

2. Life of Pie, by Yann Martel
This one just confused me!

3. The Orchid Thief, by Susan Orlean
I tried everything - even watching the movie first - but in the end, I just couldn't get past page 50.

4. The Fiery Cross, by Diana Gabaldon
I absolutely loved this series, couldn't get enough of it... until book five and I stopped halfway through. I was in need of some other characters to read about so I took a break, and sadly, that was five years ago!

5. Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte
Can you believe it? I haven't finished Wuthering Heights - and I got so close as well.



6. The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Friends with exceptional taste in books recommended this one to me, and I even took it to Barcelona with me to "get me in the mood", but alas, the bookmark is still sitting at p205.


7. This Charming Man, by Marian Keyes
I haven't read many Marian Keyes, despite hearing good things about them. However, this one, with the opening pages filled with diary entries, did nothing to endear me to her. I won't give up though!


8. Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
Is now the time to admit I've failed to start, let alone finish, P&P?


9. Emma, by Jane Austen
I remember starting this one a while ago. Needless to say, I didn't get very far! I think I may need to sign up to an Austen challenge!


10. Brick Lane, by Monica Ali
Even when I was going through a London reading phase, I still didn't manage to get absorbed by this one. Is it worth it, does anyone know?



Ten Good Things on a Monday is a weekly meme hosted by Nina and Argh

7 comments:

  1. I'm just getting around to stopping by but I'm glad I finally got here.

    Watermelon was my favorite book by Marian Keyes. After I read that book, I read another and another and another. With each one I lost interest. My favorite still, is Watermelon. What a fantastic book. It's her best one. I could leave the rest behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a very long time to get through Pride and Prejudice. A very long time. I've never even attempted Emma. Stopped after Sense and Sensibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read half of Cross Stitch three times. It sits on my shelf waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    I read Life of Pi last year and really enjoyed it. I was snopping around and noticed your review of Water for Elephants. I loved the book and can't wait to see the movie. As for your A to Z "O", I'm the same way, organized is the best way to go, but around here it's near impossible. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books
    http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2011/04/to-z-blogging-challenge-p.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read 'This Charming Man' out of all them, I did struggle with it, but was determined to finish. Haven't even tried the others, although have 'Emma' in my locker at work TBR.

    Great list, have a great week. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have The Life of Pi on my reader but I haven't read it yet. I am also planning to get The Shadow of the Wind next week because I am so excited about the story as I have already read The Angel's Game.

    I hope you can get around to reading some - if not all - of these books, they might get lonely and miss you!

    Thank you for sharing your good things this week, Ann! Have great week!

    Brush Up On Your Reading

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sophie's World was a tough one to get through. I managed it, but it did take me a while!

    ReplyDelete