Friday, April 1, 2011

Book Beginnings...on a Friday

 
A little bit of fun on a Friday, this weekly meme is hosted by A Few More Pages
I'll share the first line (or two) of the book I'm currently reading (including the title and author) and let you know what my first impressions are - good or bad!

"Three o'clock, the dead hour. The fain irritation of sand grit between bare foot and floorboards. Wet towels hanging from bedposts and porch railings. A door, caught in a gust, slams, and someone near it emits the expected cry of surprise."
Body Surfing, by Anita Shreve

This beginning certainly intrigued me, but I've already put the book down! I've never read an Anita Shreve before, but have always thought I should - it's just that this book seems to be in short paragraphs, which are made up of short sentences and I just can't get it to flow.
Are all her books written this way?

3 comments:

  1. Starting out with "the dead hour" is intriguing...sorry it didn't live up to your expectation. I've never read Shreve, so I don't know if that's typical or not.

    thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't answer your question but I would also not like that style of writing. Those short, seemingly cut off sentences would put me off as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read several Shreve books...I don't recall this writing style being a problem in books I've read, but it's been awhile.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete