Monday, August 29, 2011

Book #59: Quentins... without an apostrophe!

Don't hang me! It's Quentins without an apostrophe! And although this little - but oh so important - grammatical symbol gets the better of me more than I would like to think, even I know that Quentins should have an apostrophe. The reason it doesn't is explained in the book, but I don't think it was explanation enough to justify it somehow!

But you know how when you see something you haven't noticed before, you all of a sudden see it everywhere?! Well, there's a shop in town that has just recently opened called "DavidsTea" - without the apostrophe! I've yet to step inside but before I ask for tea I'm going to ask for an apostrophe!

This blog entry wasn't meant to be a grammatical rant - instead, it's about Quentins, by Maeve Binchy. I was in need of a quick, easy read - to let the mind wander and to add another book to the 111 for the year. At the rate this year is disappearing on me, I'm going to be hard pushed to meet my target I think. Fortunately, I have a few holidays up my sleeve!

Needless to say, Quentins didn't disappoint. It's a lighthearted read about somewhat fluffy, warm characters. None of whom I can remember by name - apart from Quentin that is. But then that's the thing with Maeve Binchy's books - they never really seem to have a lasting effect. Great for a quick escape, but also great for bringing home the fact that a great read really is one that leaves a lasting impression.

That said, I knew what I was getting myself in for by turning through the pages of Quentins - which by the way is a cafe and of course central to the characters in the book. They all have a link to the place - both good and bad, and Binchy has cleverly intertwined them all together. However, I still think there are a few other Maeve Binchy books out there that are probably one up on this one.

Which brings me to my next query... at what stage do publishers simply publish any book by a top selling author. It seems that some authors out there all of a sudden lower their standards to get another publication to the bestsellers list? But perhaps that's a rant for another day...


No comments:

Post a Comment