Monday, July 4, 2011

Ten Good Things on a Monday... in honour of 4th of July

I experienced my first Canada Day on Friday. Lots of red and white everywhere! And I'm aware that our new neighbours are celebrating 4th of July today, so in honour of the land of stars and stripes, my 10 good things are books relating to the US that I've enjoyed reading (and a few that are on my TBR pile - as always!)

1. The Help, by Kathryn Stockett
Well, this year's 4th of July list has to have this one at the top. For those who have read it, you'll know why. For those that still have it sitting on their TBR pile, then move it up to number 1 spot. It's a great read!

2. Sons of Fortune, by Jeffrey Archer
I finished reading this one a little while ago (yet to review it sorry, but it's on my "to do" list!), and loved it. The story of twin boys, separated at birth, who both grow up in different families, different circles, but their political and business aspirations see them meet again in years to come. An absolutely, riveting story and so cleverly done by the master that is Jeffrey Archer. He had me hanging on until the last line!

3. Snow Falling on Cedars, by David Guterson
This was one of my first books of the year. Such a beautiful story, set during World War ll, and highlighting relationships between the Americans and the Japanese. It's also been made into a film which is just as incredible! Definitely on my favourite books of all time list!

4. The Chief, by David Nasaw
Husband and I first left NZ four years ago and to begin our OE (overseas experience) we flew to LA. First stop Disneyland, followed by a drive up Highway Number 1 in a convertible mustang to San Francisco. Yes, husband was in his element! But along the way we stopped off at Hearst Castle, an incredible architectural feat sitting atop the hills of San Simeon. The money poured into this Castle can only be described as grotesque, but the outcome left me breathless. I was instantly intrigued by media magnate, William Randolph Hearst, and as a result, this book The Chief: The Life of William Randolph Hearst, landed on my bookshelf. It can only be described as a riveting read! Meanwhile, check out Hearst Castle: http://www.hearstcastle.org

5. Cold Mountain, by Charles Frazier
I loved the movie but haven't read the book. It's sitting on my shelf though and having signed up for the Books To Movies challenge, I may just get around to reading it sooner rather than later. But has anyone else read this who can let me know what the book is like compared to the movie?

6. Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe
Doing these lists is dangerous - it brings home just how many books I have yet to read - and so many of them are classics!! This is one, having retrieved from the back of my shelf, that is now going firmly onto my TBR pile!

7. The Shipping News, by Annie Proulx
Speaking of classics - I haven't read this one either!

8. Tuesdays With Morrie, by Mitch Albom
This one brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. One of the best books I've ever read, and could just keep on rereading it over and over and over again. Definitely an all time favourite to be celebrated this 4th of July.

9. The Tea Rose, by Jennifer Donnelly
I'm a sucker for romance and history - and when it all come together in a wonderful historical fiction novel, then you can't beat it. The Tea Rose, by Jennifer Donnelly is the one book I simply can't stop recommending. Although it starts off in London there is certainly enough of the book set in the USA that warrants it being on this list. The same can be said for The Bronze Horseman trilogy, by Paullina Simons - love it!

10. The Colour Purple, by Alice Walker
I'm going to end my top 10 list for this Monday with yet another book I haven't read, but I will... honest!

And despite having a bookshelf full of unread books, and an ever increasing TBR pile - I'm always interested to know of any other American books that come with recommendations!!



Ten Good Things on a Monday is a weekly meme hosted by Nina and Argh

4 comments:

  1. I just finished The Help yesterday! :)

    I'll have to check out the other books you listed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! And great idea for a post. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah this list is awesome! And I love Mitch Albom but I am so hesitant to read Tuesdays with Morrie because I KNOW it's going to make me so sad!!

    Lah

    ReplyDelete